Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My view is better than yours...

photo courtesy of www.emelisande.com

Last night, I had the chance to see the amazing Emeli Sande at the House of Blues Orlando.  First, I must say – this chick is the next big thing in America.  She is already huge in the U.K. but she is about to skyrocket to success on this side of the pond as well.  Why?  She has the look, she oozes passion, her voice is amazeballs, she's a crazy-talented songwriter, and she just flat out SINGS.  My country roots are beckoning me to be more accurate: “homegirl can SANG!”  I consider myself extremely lucky to have had a chance to see her at $27 a ticket, because that definitely won’t last for long!   When it happens, I will gladly say, “I told you so.”

While basking in her talent and showmanship, it dawned on me that I was one of the few looking directly at the stage… about 80% of the audience had smartphone devices in the air, recording the show.  I see a couple of issues with this…  It’s annoying for people trying to see the show that want to appreciate all of the show production work that goes into the full spectacle without it being obstructed by a sea of little glowing screens.  Besides, what are you planning with the recording?   It’s more a comment on the technological age we are in, where no one can do anything without preserving the experience to share later.  I get it - I'm totally guilty of documenting anything cool that I get to do, then blasting it on social media to share with friends.   However, a photo and a video are different in that a video actually takes work.  Personally, I would rather enjoy the real thing in the moment.  BE PRESENT, people!  Put the phones away and take in the actual experience!  Give the respect due to the artist on stage pouring their heart out to you.  My experience with Emeli was likely much richer than your shaky cam recording will be later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment